Sports, Competitions and Festivals
Being active is a huge part of life at Ravenswood School. We are fortunate to have talented staff and children who enjoy taking part in sports, competitive activities and festivals.
Reports to Parents 2018-2019
- Cycling Event - Schools 500
- Cross Country - Schools 500
- Yr 5+6 Girls' Football - Schools 500
- Yr 5+6 Boys' Football - Schools 500
- Yr 3+4 Multi Skills Success - Schools 500
- Yr 1+2 Cross Country - Schools 500
- Yr 5+6 High five Netball - Schools 500
- Level 3 Gymnastics Success
- Level 2 Gymnastics Competition
- Year 6 Cycling Competition
- Cancer Run 2019
- Newcastle and Northumberland Cross Country
- Sportshall Athletics Regional Finals
- 2019 East End Pool Swimming Gala - Key Stage 2
- Hockey Success - Year 4
- City Netball Competition - Year 5 & 6
- OLT Badminton Report 2019
- Newcastle City Hockey - Year 5
- Year 5 Netball Competition
- Sports Hall Athletics - January 2019
- Level 2 Athletics Success - December 2018
- Basketball Tournament - 4.12.18
- OLT Hockey Tournament - Nov 2018
- Sports Hall Athletics - November 2018
- Handball Club at Benfield School
- KS1 Cross Country
- KS2 Cross Country
- Yr 5+6 Football - October 2018
Reports to Parents 2017-2018
- PE Report 2018
- Year 4 - Football and Tennis Report
- Team Ravenswood June 2018
- Schools 500 Games - Badminton
- Schools 500 Games - Yr 1+2 Cross Country
- Schools 500 Games - Yr 2 Multi Skills
- Schools 500 Games - Archery
- Schools 500 Games - Yr4 Multi Skills
- Schools 500 Games - Yr 3+4 Tag Rugby
- Schools 500 Games - Yr 3+4 Girls Football
- Schools 500 Games - Cycling
- Schools 500 Games - Yr 5+6 Netball
- Schools 500 Games - Yr 5+6 Football
- Level 3 Gymnastic Success - June 2018
- Schools 500 Games - Yr 2 Multi Skills Medal Winners
- Schools Games 500 - Cross Country Yr 3+4
- Sainsbury's Schools 500 - Y3/4 Benchball
- Yr 5 Quadkids 2018
- Yr2 Gymnastic Squad
- Gymnastic Success - June 2018
- Yr 4 Tennis Team Success - June 2018
- Quadkids Competition - Yr3 + 4
- Newcastle Schools Athletics Competition
- Newcastle City Cricket Finals
- OLT Cricket Competition results 2018
- Gymnastics Competition Level 2
- Year 4 Tennis Team Success - May 2018
- Football League Champions!
- Yr5+6 Football Update
- Cross Country - March 2018
- Badminton Competition Report - March 2018
- Yr 4 + 6 Tennis Tournament
- OLT Football Tournament Success
- Table Tennis Triumph
- Yr 6 - Level 3 Athletics
- Hockey Level 2 Competition (February)
- Netball - Level 2 High (January 2018)
- Athletics Team - Level 2 Competition
- OLT Basketball Tournament 2017
- Yr 4 Hockey Tournament
- Yr 5 & 6 Sportshall Athletics
- Yr 5 & 6 Football
- Ouseburn Learning Trust Cross Country Yr 1 & 2
- Yr 5 & 6 Football - October 2017
Reports to Parents 2016-2017
- Reception & KS1 Sports Day
- House Athletics - Yr2
- House Athletics - Yr 6 and whole school
- Archery - Schools 500 Games 2017
- Yr 4 Tennis Team Report
- Tyne Wear Gymnastics Final
- Schools 500 - Y3/4 Multi skills
- Schools 500 - Yr 5 & 6 Girls Football
- Schools 500 - Benchball Y5/6 Competition
- Schools 500 - Badminton Competition
- Schools 500 - Yr 2 Multi Skills
- Level 2 Gymnastics - June 2017
- Quad Kids
- Schools Athletics Championship 2017
- Ravenswood Triathlon Score Sheet 2017
- Ravenswood Triathlon 2017
- Yr 4 Tennis Tournament
- Yr4 Football Tournament April 2017
- Cross Country Championship 2017
- Yr 3 Tennis Tournament
- East End Pool Swimming Gala March 10th 2017
- Ouseburn Learning Trust Badminton Competition
- Quick Sticks Tournament 2017 - Yr 4
- Yr 5 Hockey Game versus Byker Primary
- Yr 6 Basketball Competition - Jan 2017
- Year 4 Hockey Tournament - Feb 2017
- Athletics Level 2 Report
- Yr 4 Hockey Tournament
- OLT Cross Country
Reports to Parents 2015 - 2016
- PE Report 2016
- House Athletics Report 2016
- Gold Again!
- Level 3 Gymnastics, Tennis and Quadkids
- Paralympic Week
- Games 500 - Multi Skills
- Schools 500 Cross Country Yr 2
- Benchball Report
- Football and Rounders
- Badminton Report
- Yr 3+4 Football Team
- Go Run for Fun
- Archery - Schools 500
- Yr 5+6 Cross Country
- Yr 3 + 4 Tag Rugby
- QuadKids Report
- Quadkids Athletics Tournament Yr 4
- Gymnastics Level 2 - June 2016
- Lee Sterry Euro 2016 Football Tournament
- Big Dance 2016
- Ravenswood Triathlon report
- Ouseburn Learning Trust Cricket Champions 2016
- Greggs Cancer Run 2016
- Fencing Club
- England cricketer Ben Stokes visits Ravenswood
- Swimming Gala 2016 - Medals all round
- KS2 Cross Country Level 2
- Year 5/6 Hockey Level 3 The Parks, North Shields
- Year 6 netballers at Netfest
- Year 6 Football Team
Over recent months, Ravenswood’s football team has participated in several competitions across Newcastle. A highlight of the season so far was being recognised as the second best team in the entire city. Here are some match reports that were written alongside journalism student, and former Ravenswood pupil, Dominic Scurr.
- Year 5/6 Hockey Level 2 Competition
- Olympic Get Set Letter 2016
- January 20th 2016 Year 6 Netball
- November 11 2015 Year 5 and 6 Girl's Football
Cross Country Competition Report
On Thursday October 1st 48 runners from Years 3-6 took part in the NSAA Cross Country School Team Competition at Gateshead International Stadium. It was an undulating grass course with plenty of hill work and all Ravenswood’s runners did brilliantly to complete it. Our best placed team overall was Year 5 Boys. They came 3rd out of 15 schools. Well done to all our runners.
Mrs. Maddison and Mr. Kelly ran a hockey club for 5 weeks, leading up to a competition between the Ouseburn Trust of schools in October.
Reports to Parents 2014 – 2015
Wednesday 8th July
- In the Tyne and Wear Gymnastics Championships our year 3/4 team managed to gain bronze and the Year 5/6 team took gold, making them champions of Tyne and Wear.
- We have been awarded the gold award for the second time!
- The Year 4 Tennis team performed terrifically at the Sainsbury’s School
- On Friday we all took part in the Ravenswood Great North Run and raised £550 for the Great North Children’s Hospital. A huge thank you to everyone who sent in a donation.
- Archery at Ravenswood - a report
Friday 3rd July
- Our school 2015 PE report can be found here.
- County Cricket finals 2015
- Year 1 and 2 Games 500 Multi-skills
- Year 5 Handball
Friday 26th June
Read about our recent sporting teams
- Ouseburn Learning Trust Cross Country
- Sainsbury’s Tennis
- Schools 500 Games Benchball
- Schools 500 Games Cross Country
- Schools 500 Games Y1 and Y2 Cross Country
- Schools 500 Games Y5 and Y6 Rounders
On Tuesday 9th June, I was lucky enough to take some of our very best athletes to the Primary Schools Athletics Championships at Monkton Stadium in Jarrow.
As soon as we arrived at the stadium, we realised it was going to be a very competitive event! There was a proper running track, long jump pit, high metal hurdles and a professional looking high jump bar. However, we didn’t let any of this put us off and we participated in all the events with our usual determination and enthusiasm. We found out during the afternoon that one of the girls we competed against was the British record holder for sprinting!
Everyone did brilliantly and the boys’ and girls’ relay teams both managed to qualify for the finals. George was ‘spotted’ by Gateshead Harriers as he won a silver medal in the high jump event. Four of our competitors (Briony, Esme, Hikimot and George) also managed to qualify for the County Championships by finishing in the top four of their event.
Congratulations to the whole team! We finished third overall which is a superb achievement.
On Thursday 11th June, I took 9 of our best athletes in years 3 and 4 to take part in a Quadkids event at Benfield School. It was a beautiful summer’s day and we were very excited about giving it our best shot!
We were competing against 8 other schools in the area in the standing long jump, howler throws, 400m run and the 50m sprint events. We all tried so hard and we very supportive of each other. Every completed event earnt points for the team so it was a real group effort!
Everyone did brilliantly and we came first place in both the girls and 400m and boys 50m sprint which was fantastic!
Well done to all the children, you did Ravenswood very proud!
Go Run For Fun
On Thursday we took thirty seven Year 2 and Year 3 children to Paddy Freemans for a fun run. The course was 2km which was a long way! The children were all brilliant and tried their very best.
Gymnastics Level 2
Ravenswood gymnasts once again showed what a fabulous bunch they are! They only had 4 lunchtime sessions in which to perfect their Key Steps routine. This week, we had to practise in the old library area as both halls were being used. Still, it meant that children coming out of the dinner hall had something interesting to watch!
Here are the results:
Year 2 team achieved silver.
Year 3/4 team 1 achieved silver.
Year 3/4 team 2 achieved gold.
Year 5/6 team 1 achieved silver.
Year 5/6 team 2 achieved gold.
As always, I am an extremely proud teacher as the children worked hard, showed good sporting behaviour and represented our school well. Thanks to those parents who were able to come and support us.
Ten Year 5 athletes recently took part in a Level 2 Quad Kids competition at Benfield School and they performed brilliantly! All of the children took part in four events during the afternoon; a standing long jump, a howler throw, a 75m sprint and a 600m long distance run. Luckily, the sun came out and we had a wonderful afternoon competing against other local schools. We are still waiting for the results to be published but all of the children should be very proud of themselves for representing Ravenswood so well.
Heaton Harriers Taster Session 28.4.15
Sixteen of our Y5 and Y6 athletes enjoyed a taster session with Ted and Debbie from Heaton Harriers Athletics Club. It was a bit chilly so we had to keep running to stay warm!
On Wednesday 22nd April some of our Year 4 and Year 6 pupils competed in a challenging cross country championship at Blakelaw playing fields.
The Tony Blair Sports Foundation School Tennis Challenge
Year 3 pupils took part in a tennis tournament at The Northumberland Club in Jesmond last Monday. The pupils excelled in their matches, serving accurately over the net and one of the girls won five out of five of her games! The boys came first in the relay race and the girls achieved the highest score in the racket balance challenge.
Level 3 Sainsbury’s School Games March 25th 2015
What a glorious afternoon in the sun we had playing hockey at The Parks in North Shields.
Despite having half of the Level 2 team at Kingswood, we still managed to pull a team together to help Ravenswood to represent Newcastle in this level 3 event.
Our team worked so hard but unfortunately lost all of their matches to teams wearing mouth guards! However, spirits remained high and they kept working to try to secure a win. As usual, all of the children showed true sporting behaviour.
Swimming Gala East End pool March 13th 2015.
I was fortunate to be able to take both lower and upper Key Stage 2 teams to the pool’s annual gala to compete against 4 other local schools. As usual, our children behaved beautifully and really got into the spirit of competing with good manners and sportsman-like behaviour. They acknowledged friends and rivals from other schools, cheered their team mates and clapped all winners. I was an extremely proud teacher!
The Year 3 and 4 team came 2nd overall, missing out on first place by just 1 point! Year 5/6 team finished 1st, with two pool records!
The morning competition kicked off with the Year 3/ 4 team. There were quite a few nerves and lots of questions the team needed answers to! However, once the competition started, they took everything in their stride and performed brilliantly.
Rosie (breaststroke) and Hope (freestyle) managed to win their finals, with Penny (backstroke) and Tom (backstroke) gaining third in their finals.
The boy’s freestyle relay saw a fantastic performance in a tight race to gain third place. The girls stormed through the water to finish half a length ahead and gain first place.
Very well done to all of our young swimmers.
Then it was back to the pool for the Year 5/6 competition. There weren’t as many nerves this time, as some of the children have competed in all of the previous galas. However, the same desire to do well and have a good time whilst representing their school was as strong as it was with the lower junior team.
As you will see below, the whole team performed brilliantly and it was an absolute pleasure to spend time with them.
Many congratulations to all of our swimmers!
Megan managed to beat her own pool record for backstroke by over a second (17.47 seconds , 18.54 seconds ) and the girls medley relay set another pool record. Wow!
Medley relay Esme, Francesca, Katie, Megan 1st
Medley relay Charlie, Jack, Sam, Yashwin 1st
Breaststroke Francesca 2nd
Breaststroke Yashwin 3rd
Freestyle Katie 2nd
Freestyle Sam 1st
Backstroke Megan 1st
Backstroke Isaac 3rd
Butterfly Esme 2nd
Butterfly Jack 4th
Freestyle relay Esme, Francesca, Katie, Megan 1st
Freestyle relay Jack, Isaac, Sam, Yashwin 1st
Year 4 Quicksticks Hockey
On Wednesday 25th February, two teams of children from Year 4 competed in a Quicksticks hockey event held at Walbottle Campus. Although we didn’t make it through to the finals, both teams played really well, winning some of their games and scoring quite a few goals. They showed excellent sportsmanship and represented Ravenswood brilliantly.
Hockey Level 2 February 12th 2015
Mrs.Maddison took 11 pupils from Years 5 and 6 to take part in a In2Hockey competition at Walbottle campus. It was quite a chilly day, but despite the cold (freezing!) conditions, the children played extremely well, coming joint 1st with Westerhope.
This means the team goes through to the level 3 competition in March to represent Newcastle schools.
What was particularly impressive was that the team won all their matches leading up to the final, and didn’t concede one goal in the whole competition.
As usual, team spirit was strong as was sporting behaviour. Well done guys!
Ravenswood Netball Success!
Last Thursday, 8 members of the Y6 Netball Team competed in a Level 2 School Games tournament at Kenton Academy. This was their first experience of competitive netball and they all played brilliantly! The team finished second overall and have qualified for the Level 3 competition in March.
Well played netballers!
Year 5/6 basketball event- Ouseburn trust level 2- week 3 Spring 1 term
Mrs. Maddison Year 5 took a team of Year 5 children to Heaton Manor for a basketball competion Despite not being quite as tall as some of the other children who were from Year 6, one team managed to get through to the quarter finals against Cragside school’s Year 6 team. The two teams were extremely well-matched and it was a close fight, with a 1-1 draw. This meant a penalty shoot out! It seemed to last forever, and was far too stressful to watch, but finally Cragside won!
As usual, Ravenswood children played with sporting behaviour and represented the schol well. Well done to all who took part.
Year 6 Dodgeball Tournament
On 4th December, ten Year 6 pupils represented Ravenswood at a Dodgeball tournament at the Centre for Sport, Westgate Road. The team played schools from all over Newcastle and they did absolutely brilliantly, winning all of their games except one!
Well done to everyone that took part. We all really enjoyed the tournament and are looking forward to the next one
On Thursday 27th November, sixteen children from Year 5 and 6 represented Ravenswood in a Sportshall Athletics competition at the Centre for Sport. They competed against twenty-four other schools from across the city, in a number of events including running, throwing and jumping. The children were a credit to the school, showing a fantastic attitude to the competition and cheering on each other and the other schools. Their performances were also outstanding and through their hard work and effort managed to claim the bronze medal; only thirty points off the silver!
Year 5 Handball Level 1 competition
The weather hadn’t been so kind to us and so we used our Games time to learn how to play handball. We finished the half term with a year group competition.
Three houses won, but Matthew informed me that Blue house were the winners based on goal difference!
Year 6 Football
On Tuesday 4th November, the school football team played their first competitive games of the season. Competing in the group stages of the National Cup, they played 3 games against local Newcastle schools. The team played superbly and won all three games without conceding a single goal. It was a brilliant display of determination and teamwork, which they’ll need in the next round of games later this half term. Well done boys!
Year 2 Multi-skills
A fantastic performance from our Year 2 children, in their first level 2, competitive event of the year. All children showed wonderful, sporting behaviour and had a fabulous time showing off their talents!
Autumn 1 competitions Lower Key stage 2
The Year 3 children kicked off our competition calendar of 2014/15 with a Throwing and Catching event at Benfield school.
They came in a very respectable fourth. Well done to all of the children who took part.
One of the organisers of the Sainsbury’s School Games emailed me to tell me that there had been some fantastic individual performances. But most importantly, she said that she had thoroughly enjoyed working with our children.
Wednesday 22nd October
Ravenswood vs Hotspur!
The year 6 netballers played their first friendly netball match this week. We welcomed the Hotspur netball team to our court and had a series of short games to practise our skills. All four of the Ravenswood teams played excellently and won most of their matches. The teamwork and sportsmanship was superb and we are already looking forward to our next matches!
Reports to parents 2013 -2014
Other Sporting Activities and Visitors
Big Dance - Healthy active lifestyles
House System Results - 2013 to 2014
Olympic Athlete visit
Young Leaders 2013 to 2014
Summer Second Half Term 2014
Cross Country - Ouseburn Trust Competition
Gymnastics Key Stage 1 and 2 - Level 2 Sainsbury's School Games
Gymnastics Key Stage 1 and 2 - Level 3 Sainsbury's School Games: Tyne and Wear Finals
Sainsbury's School Games Sports Day
Summer First Half Term 2014
School Cricket Team - Ouseburn Trust Competition
School Football Key Stage 1 - Level 2 Sainsbury's School Games
School Netball Team - League
Athletics Key Stage 2 - Level 2 Sainsbury's School Games
Spring Second Half Term 2014
Cross country Key Stage 2 - Level 2 Sainsbury's School Games
School Football Team - League
Handball Year 5 Level 2 Sainsbury's School Games
School Swimming Team - Newcastle City Competition
Spring First Half Term 2014
Ouseburn Trust Hockey competition Years 3 and 4
Hockey Level 2 Sainsbury's School Games
Ouseburn Trust Hockey competition Years 5 and 6
Netball Level 2 Sainsbury's School Games
Autumn Second Half Term 2013
Basketball Newcastle Eagles Competition
Autumn First Half Term 2013
Basketball Heaton Manor Ouseburn Competition